Silver Jubilee Celebrations
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, Vice-President of India, inaugurated the Silver Jubilee Celebrations, Hon’ble C. Rajagopalachari, Chief Minister of Madras participated in the celebrations. An Economic Conference presided over by Dr.B.V. Narayanaswami Naidu, Chairman, Forward Markets Commission was inaugurated by Dr.U. Krishna Rao, Minister for Industries, Government of Madras.
Presentation of Mobile Medical Van:
In 1953 the Chamber presented a Mobile Medical Van to the Corporation of Madras for providing medical assistance to people in the outlaying areas of Madras City. Sri V. Emberumanar Chetty attended the Vienna Session of the International Chamber of Commerce as the nominee of the Chamber and delegate of the Indian National Committee.
Trade Delegation to South East Asia and Japan:
In 1954 a 20 Member Trade Delegation visited South East Asia and Japan under the Leadership of Sri J.V. Somayajulu, President with Sri M.S. Sambasivam, officiating Secretary of the Chamber accompanied the delegation as it’s Secretary. The Delegation toured Malaya, Singapore, Phillipines, Japan, Hongkong, Thailand and Burma for about 65 days and their report on the tour was released by Sri K. Kamaraj, Chief Minister of Madras. Sri G. Latchanna, Andhra Minister for Agriculture, presided over the meeting. We are gratified to observe that several of the suggestions made in the Report were accepted by the Government of India.The Chamber deputed 20 delegates to XVth Congress of the International Chamber of Commerce held at Tokyo as also to the Tokyo Session of CAFEA (Commission on Asia and Far Eastern Affairs).
Opening of Secunderabad Office: With the formation of Andhra Pradesh State the Chamber decided to opened an office of the Chamber at Secunderabad November 1, 1956. It was inaugurated by Dr.N. Sanjiva Reddi, then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. An Advisory Committee was constituted at Secunderabad with Sri Dundoo Pentaiah as the Chairman.
Classified Directory of Members: During the year 1962, an exhaustive Classified Directory of Members was brought out for the first time. It was released by Dr. Thomas W. Simsons, U.S. Consul General at Madras. The publication was well received in official and business circles. In 1963 a Luncheon Group was sponsored by the Chamber to enable members to meet once a month at Lunch and hear important dignitaries on topics of interest to industry and trade. The same was inaugurated on July 13, 1963 by Dr.B. Gopala Reddi, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting. The programme was continued for many years and it was discontinued when the Guest Control Order was introduced.
Sri P. Brahmayya was the President of the Chamber during 1964 & 1965. The Bench of the Supreme Court of India delivered a Judgment on October 1, 1964 declaring that the property income of the Chamber was exempt under Sec.4(3)(i) of Income Tax Act as the property was held for a charitable purpose and general object of public utility and upheld the decision of Madras High Court. Sri V.G.S.V. Prasad was elected President of the Chamber. His Excellency Sirdar Ujjal Singh, Governor of Madras inaugurated the Annual Meeting held in 1967.
A Booklet on the “Aims, Objects and Services” rendered by the Chamber was released by Sri V.R. Nedunchezhian, Minister for Industries, Government of Madras.The Chamber launched during the year Three new publications to provide increasing service to the members – Labour News, Tax News and Company Law News -- bi-monthly publications.In 1971 the Chamber organised a Goodwill-cum-Business Delegation Team under the Leadership of Sri P.S. Bhashyam, President to visit Western Europe and the United Kingdom. Sri M.S. Sambasivam was the Secretary and Adviser for the delegation. The Report of the Team was submitted after it’s 22 days tour of West Germany, Sweden, United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Switzerland and Italy.
Free Consultancy Service on Labour, Sales Tax and Direct Taxes: In 1973 Sri T.S. Krishnamurthi was elected as the President. A Free Consultancy Service on Labour, Direct Taxes and Sales Tax was inaugurated on November 10, 1973.
Venkatarangam Andhra Chamber Library:
The Venkatarangam Andhra Chamber Library was declared open on February 21, 1974 by Sri J.V. Somayajulu under the Chairmanship of Sri P. Brahmayya. The Library which was organized to perpetuate the memory of Sri S. Venkatarangam, former President had an excellent collection of books of interest to industry and trade.