Platinum Jubilee Celebrations (Aug 9th 2003).
The Platinum Jubilee of the Andhra Chamber of Commerce was celebrated on Saturday August 9, 2003 at 5 P.M at Taj Coromandal Hotel, Nungambakkam High Road, Chennai-600 034. Officers of Central Government and State Government at Chennai, representatives of sister Chambers of Commerce, Diplomatic and Consular Officers at Chennai, leading industries from Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, representatives of Door Dharshan, All India Radio & Media and a large number of Members were present.
- Presentation of a Mmobile Medical Van to the Corporation of Chennai in 1952.
- Sponsoring a 20 Member Trade cum Goodwill Delegation to visit South East Asia, Phillipines and Japan in 1955 and bringing out a comprehensive report on the possibilities of developing economic releations with these countries.
- Sponsoring a 44 Member Goodwill cum Business Team to Western Europe and the United Kingdom in 1971 and bringing out a report on promotion of Tourism and economic relations between India and the countries visited.
- Organising INTRATECH Exhibition for 7 days at Chennai in 1988 along with Seminars and Conferences as part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations.
- Production and presentation of an Audio Visual on Liberalisation in 1993 at Chennai and Hyderabad.
- Sponsoring a 16 Member Delegation of Small scale industries to Japanin 1980.
- Assisting other bodies and organisations in bringing out monographs and other publications on industry and trade.
- Launching and winning an Income Tax case in the Supreme Court holding that Chambers of Commerce function for a general object of public utility and they are eligible for exemption from income tax.
Honouring of Members who completed 50 years of sustained Membership Support.
In 1935 when the Rajah Saheb of Bobbili, then Chief Minister of Madras, agreed to provide for a seat to the Chamber on the Madras City Corporation in the Madras City Municipal Bill which was placed on the Statute Book that year. In 1936 the Chamber was given the right, jointly with the Madras Chamber of Commerce and the Southern India Chamber of Commerce to elect a common representative to the Madras City Excise Licensing Board.
The War Years – Representation of Chamber in various Forums:
Chamber's 83rd Anniversary Celebrations was held on August 17, 2010 at 6.30 P.M. at Southern Crown Hall , Hotel GRT Grand, Chennai. Chief Guest: Hon'ble Shri V. Vaithilingam, Chief Ministger, Government of Puducherry. The Chamber has honoured the following Members who have extended sustained Membership support to the Chamber for over 50 years:
- (a) Shri K. Ashok Mehta, Managing Director of Bhansali Chemicals (Madras) Ltd., Chennai.
- (b) Mr.G. Ramakrishna, Partner, The General Automobiles (Mfrs), Chennai.
- (c) Mr.P. Venkateswarlu, Representative of Dr. Mullapudi Harischandra Prasad, Chairman & Managing Director of The Andhra Sugars Ltd., Tanuku.
The Chamber has also honoured the following Members who have been serving in the Executive Committee over 50 years:
- (a) Dr. Mullapudi Harischandra Prasad, Chairman & Managing Director of The Andhra Sugars Ltd., Tanuku represented by Mr.P. Venkateswarlu;
- (b) Shri V.R. Bakthavatsalam, former President ;
- (c) Shri V.G.S.V. Prasad, former President represented by Smt.V. Annapourna Prasad, Technical Director , The National Engg. Co. (Madras) Pvt. Ltd.
- (d) Shri N. Venkataraman, Senior Advocate made a presentation on “The way ahead to GST Regime”. He was also honoured by the Chief Guest.